Alcoholism or alcohol use disorder; in which person has craving or physical need to consume alcohol, even though he has severe distress in his personal, social and occupational life. Alcoholism may develop in years or take some decades but some people are more vulnerable, they may develop it within months.
Globally 3.3 million deaths every year because of alcohol abuse according to world health organization.
Alcohol is a depressant drug, it lower the serotonin level, which is mood regulating chemical in our brain. Regular consumption also alters the GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) and glutamate, which controls impulsiveness and nervous system.it also increase dopamine level in brain, individual gets more pleasure of drinking.
Causes of Alcoholism:
- Family history plays significant role to develop alcoholism, if any member in family consume alcohol individual is more vulnerable to develop alcoholism.
- Social factors are also involved; having friends or colleagues who are involved in drinking can increase the risk.
- Many people use alcohol as a self-medication to get relief from other mental conditions, depression, anxiety, trauma or poor stress management.
- Develop tolerance and dependence of Alcohol
- Continues consumption of alcohol, despite it causing, distress in personal, social and occupational life.
- Having strong urges to drink alcohol
- Drinking in unsafe situation like driving swimming etc.
- Spending most of time on thinking and getting of alcohol individual may involve in stealing or lying
- Losing interest in all other aspect of life, relationship, work, friend and hobbies
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms, whenever he tried to discontinue alcohol.
Impact on health:
- Liver diseases: Hepatic steatosis, Alcohol hepatitis, Cirrhosis.
- Digestive problem: Pancreatits.
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Diabetes complications: hypoglycemia
- Impact on menstrual cycle and sexual function
- Neurological problems: dementia, disordered thinking and short term memory loss
- Weak immune system: individual is more prone to infections.
- Involuntary rapid eye movement: nystagmus
- Increased risk of cancer
Impact on mental health
As stated earlier alcohol slows down or depresses our nervous system and alters our brain chemistry.
- Impaired decision making, loss of inhibition
- Poor judgment, confused thinking
- Loss of attention span
- Memory impairment
- Fluctuation of mood, numb the emotions
Risk factors of alcoholism:
- Road accidents
- Personal and financial problems
- Increased risk of being involved in crime or violence
- Risk of committing suicide
- Involved in maladaptive behavior; lying, cheating or stealing
- Having unprotected sex or sexual abuse
Detoxification and withdrawal of Alcoholism:
Detoxification is rapid cessation of drug even though, he has dependence on alcohol. However, detox depends upon other factors like quantity of alcohol consumption. Time duration of alcoholism and either person discontinue alcohol before.
Usually after 6 hour of last drink mild withdrawal symptoms may appear, heavy drinker may have seizures .After 12 to 24 hours some people hallucination but it is very rare. Those people who have minor withdrawal their symptoms are peak at this time and start decreasing after 5 days. Some people have severe withdrawal 48 to 72 hours after last drink they may experience “Alcohol Withdrawal delirium”, after 72 hours withdrawal symptoms are at their worst. In rare cases, moderate symptoms last foe a month.
- Anxiety & depression
- Irritability& agitation
- Increased heart rate
In severe cases:
The New Life Rehab Center Islamabad provides the treatment of alcoholism by combining the medical and psychotherapeutic interventions under the supervision of our professional psychiatrists, psychologists and addiction counselors.
When patient enters in our rehabilitation center firstly, we do comprehensive assessment, which involve, complete screening, physical examination, drug test and psychological assessment to address other psychological illness and complete drug history.
Then we provide complete detoxification under the complete supervision of our well trained medical staff 24-7. Provide medication to deal with withdrawal symptoms constantly monitor by our psychiatrists.
Psychotherapy and behavioral treatment provided for future sobriety and prevent relapse. We conduct daily counseling sessions, cogitative behavioral therapy, spiritual healing and group sessions for betterment of individual’s mental and emotional health.
Our Rehabilitation goals are:
- End alcohol abuse ,permanent abstinent
- Improve patient’s general physical health & life style
- Treat psychological problems by our well trained psychologist
- Improve positive support system
- Enable the patient to function normal in his social, personal and occupational life
- Work on relapse prevention
- Long-term sobriety
To start the journey of recovery for yourself and loved ones at New Life Rehabilitation Center in Islamabad, Pakistan, please contact us by calling 03214528124 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. https://newliferehabrapidetox.com/